Saturday, September 10, 2016

Do you remember your child's favorite book?


I read to my daughter while still in the womb, as a newborn, at all ages. Anytime she wanted read to, I stopped whatever I was doing and took about five minutes of my time and read to her. It doesn't take long to read a child s book. This process helps bonding and teaches your child the beginnings of reading. My daughter was reading at age three. As she got older I still read to her, especially a bedtime story, which also helps get a bedtime routine and relaxes them before going to sleep. As a teen she loved to read and now as an adult, she continues to read. Also, as an expectant mom, she plans to do the same for her child. ❤️ Her favorites were Berenstain Bear books by Stan Berenstain, Jan Berenstain. Now her favorite book is To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
While I had custody of my great-nephew we started the routine of reading a bedtime story. This helped him to learn what to expect at bedtime and got him calmed down, and learned he could trust us and depend on us. Not being read to before this made reading time special to him, the attention just for him and of course bonding with us. He also loves to look at books and repeats the story as if he's reading it. At age three he was writing his own name and everyone in our house's name and just as he turned four was starting to read, knew the sounds of almost all the letters. He's now back with his birth mom and I hope he continues his love of reading and writing. 😢❤️ His favorite book was Llama Llama Time to Share by Anna Dewdney, the author in the article below.
It is important to read to your children every day, not just to teach them and occupy them; to bond and give them the love of reading. They will learn that they can escape into a book and live many lives through them...you gave that to them. Be proud that you can give them this gift, something they can use the rest of their life.
~ LR



No comments:

Post a Comment